Balkinization  

Thursday, December 21, 2023

U.S. Society for Intellectual History blog symposium on Burning Down the House

Andrew Koppelman

At the blog of the U.S. Society for Intellectual History, there is a symposium on my book, Burning Down the House: How Libertarian Philosophy Was Corrupted by Delusion and Greed (St Martins, 2022), with comments by the distinguished historians Angus Burgin and Claire Rydell Arcenas, first presented at the S-USIH Conference in Denver in November.  I also have a short response.

Burgin wonders why I focus on radical libertarianism, which “seem[s] increasingly marginal to present-day American political conversation.”  Arcenas asks what academic historians should take away from my work.  Burgin – and, elsewhere, Jennifer Burns – press me to explain why I don’t say more about neoliberalism, or about Milton Friedman.  I answer them and explain why they ought to assign my book to their students.


Older Posts
Newer Posts
Home