Balkinization  

Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Why Do (Some) Originalists Hate America?

Andrew Koppelman


Imagine a regime whose fundamental law is only to be found in ancient archives, whose mysterious contents take years to unearth, layer by layer.  Each new discovery brings about a revolution, as large bodies of established law are unexpectedly discarded and others, previously rejected, spring back into life as the scholars revise earlier conclusions.  The operations of government are in constant confusion and disarray.  And this state of affairs is likely to persist indefinitely.

     That doesn’t sound attractive, does it?  But that is where some prominent strands of modern originalist constitutional theory would lead us.  An essay that I have just posted on SSRN explores the methodological steps, each of which in themselves had a certain plausibility, that brought us here.

I usually put a note on Balkinization as soon as I have a new paper out, but this time I was slow, and the tireless Larry Solum has already posted a response, disputing my claim that "The now dominant assumption – one might call it the New New Originalism - is that the Constitution’s meaning can be determined by ascertaining the semantic meaning that each term had at the time of the founding."  Larry, whose understanding of contemporary originalism one doubts at one's peril, claims that "every public meaning originalist of whom I am aware rejects this approach."  I can only respond that I cite some prominent work that follows precisely that approach, with the baleful implications that I describe.



Older Posts
Newer Posts
Home