Balkinization  

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Judge Barrett and Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh

Mark Tushnet

I highlight a comment in Ken Kersch's post: "If Amy Coney Barrett had been appointed instead of Brett Kavanaugh, the relevance of the ostensibly irrelevant and ostensibly superseded stuff I’m talking about in this book would be even more obvious (I would venture that it may very well loom larger for Kavanaugh himself twenty years hence)." And he observes that "Neil Gorsuch literally has a Ph.D. in the ostensibly irrelevant and ostensibly superseded stuff I’m talking about in this book."

 There's a difference between Judge Barrett and Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, though: She's a serious Catholic intellectual; they are Republican party hacks.

(I think that Kersch has himself misunderstood the point of my post, but that's not worth going into: The book is terrific and everyone interested in contemporary conservatism and the Constitution should read it.)

Older Posts
Newer Posts
Home