Balkinization  

Friday, October 01, 2004

Begging To Differ

JB

One of my former students, Jennifer Chacon, sends in her assessment of the debate:
I have to tell you that I think you're dead wrong about tonight's debate.

Kerry's challenge was not to appear "transformative". What he needed to do was present himself as someone who would continue waging the "wars" that have been started on the watch of the incumbent, but who would do it better. He didn't need to present a message of transformation; he needed to relay a message of plans for thoughtful and improved continuity. This, I think he did competently.

Most of the undecided voters I know (don't ask me how I came to be related to so many "undecided" types) are wavering not because they favor what Bush is doing, but because they are concerned about changing horses midstream. I wish I was kidding. This seems like a terrible reason to vote for Bush from my perspective, and probably from yours. But you should have no doubt that there is a real concern (no matter how irrational it may seem) that switching bosses in the midst of a swirling foreign crisis abroad and low-level domestic panic at home will open the country up to unspecified grave dangers. Bush thrives on that message. Kerry's real job tonight was to let people know that he could competently pick up the reins and steer us -- smoothly -- in a new, but not radically different, direction.


Apparently Jennifer is not alone in her assessment. (Link via Atrios).

Comments:

Around my house, this is known as the "don't change horsemen in the middle of the apocalypse!" argument.
 

Did FDR in '44 know how dumb the don't-change-horses argument is?
 

@Mr. Wagner:
It depends on the horseman, doesn't it -- FDR *didn't* attack Mexico in response to Pearl Harbor, and the war on his watch was going rather well for the U.S. by 1944.
 

Post a Comment

Older Posts
Newer Posts
Home